Skip to main content

Week 3

First of all, big shout out to Fiona for reading all of my blog posts last night, I appreciated the comments and acknowledgment of the work that I’ve been working at, so vigorously for the past three weeks. Although, this week began with a bit of a roadblock in the forms of AP Exams, I banged those out, one day after another and jumped right back into the kitchen on Thursday. That was the most excited I’ve ever been to get up at seven a.m. in my life and that was a sign to me that I was doing the right thing with this open-ended period of three and a half weeks.
I did a bit of thinking and considered my other and what was initially my first choice as a project: working on Roseway for their yard period. Although that would have been awesome, I am eternally grateful that that fell through. The way that this spring has gone for me, has been an incredible journey and learning experience that I don’t think I would have been able to achieve living and working in Gloucester. The chance to both be in the spring musical, cook and have enough time to play the guitar, while also having some time to have closure with the friends that I have loved and cherished for three years has been incredible. The amount of freedom that I’ve had to develop my passions was liberating. I wish life could just be working at things that you love to do, but alas, that is not so. This whole thought process then brought me to a different, but similar epiphany. What if I hadn’t come to Proctor? It almost went that way. Had my mother answered a phone call, I’d be going to a different school right now. My entire high school experience would be different. I wouldn’t have met the people that I’ve met and had the opportunity to build those relationships, I wouldn't be doing this senior project right now, but most of all, I wouldn’t have gone on Ocean Classroom and had that life altering experience. Now I won’t stray too far because I understand that this is supposed to be about my project, not a sequence of my introspective realizations, but I thought that I would share with those of you reading this.

Otherwise, good week and I am excited to get back at it again and finish strong. I sure hope my judges enjoy the meal that I’m going to prepare for them. Tentatively, it’s four courses and a closely guarded secret. Don’t tell anyone Nate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Sausage Bombs and Soup 5/3/2019

Today was not particularly pivotal moment in my senior project experience, but another step in the right direction all the same. I started the morning by preparing my soup. That entailed retrieving the prepared mirepoix of vegetables from yesterday, cubing beef and potatoes, and also grabbing the excess pork, vegetable stock and barley. I steamed the potatoes and glazed the beef with red wine. I boiled my stock, mirepoix and beef, while roasting the potatoes and cooking the barley separately. While this was all going on, I also needed to prepare for my sausage action station at lunch. I unpacked the vegetables and onions that I had prepared yesterday and sautéed them up, frequently stirring up the mixture with a pair of tongs. I then worked on a apple-cabbage-lemon coleslaw to go with the sausages.  This entailed a mild mixture of red and and green cabbage with diced apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, red onion and salt, all the while soaking the apples in lemon juice to prevent their ox

Week 2

This week overall, was a successful experience except for the fact of my minor illness at the beginning that set me back slightly. For most of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I was having stomach cramps and some nausea, which finally calmed down once we hit Friday. This set back my capacity for efficiency slightly as I felt a bit slowed down, but nonetheless I was still able to complete all of the tasks handed to me. In terms of food, I continued to develop my mastery of soup as I made two or three different versions, the amount of which I cannot remember exactly. I also continued my adventures into the realms of flour and baking as well as different variations of roux. Working with Hannah gave me a perspective into the life of a baker which if i’ll be honest made me happy that my passions lie in cooking rather than yeast and ovens, not to diminish that field of work at all, I was just able to solidify my passion for cooking this way. Also, if I’m to continue being truthful working

Day 2: Kitchen May 1, 2019

Today was another success in my mind. I showed up ten minutes early, ready to work and get right into the dish that I had begun to prep last night: pork tenderloin with a mustard rub. I roasted the pork on a mirepoix of vegetables and caramelized the onions that I had chopped last night. While that was roasting, Nate and I discussed another dish that I could prep for the lunch line, as there had been a minor miscommunication that was completely my fault, but it was no big deal. I decided to do a broccoli with brown garlic sauce. I honed my paring knife skills, chopping away at about forty heads of broccoli, all the while maintaining a watchful eye on my onions and pork. Once the pork hit a temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I took it out and took the juice and vegetables to make what I called a bootleg demi-glaze (highly reduced espagnole sauce). The version Nate assisted me in creating was made up of pork fat and vegetables. It all came together pretty quickly as I roasted some as